Wildlife signs have their purpose all year round, but we’ve seen a spike in orders recently and thought we’d lend a hand, so bear with us while we cover some basics. Typically speaking there are 4 types of wildlife signs: Stock Crossing Signs, Stock Warning Signs, Wildlife Information Signs, Invasive Species and Wildlife Warning Signs. 

Types of Wildlife Signs

Wildlife signs aren’t just used for National Parks and highways, there are many reasons you would need to put up Wildlife signage. Some reasons include, but are not limited to: Wildlife Management, Fisheries Management, Water Management, Vegetation Management and Security. If your company has a license/lease to use public lands for oil-related uses, you are required to have these signs at the road entries so the roads can be easily closed if needed. 


Land act signs


For all those eager beavers wondering if there are any rules or regulations, for private property, the answer is no! You can pick a standard wildlife sign such as a Warning sign, or something more custom.

But in Alberta, for example, the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) and Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) co-manage public lands under the Public Lands Act. Under this act, the AEP can require the installation of signs for a variety of environmental controls at roadway entrances to the public land being used for energy operations.

These signs have some requirements that must be followed in order to be compliant:

  • The signs must state the appropriate land notice
  • Text must meet the minimum height requirement
  • Signs must meet a minimum size requirement
  • Signs require a level of reflectivity
  • Signs require a border

If you want to ensure that you are compliant with the AER and AEP regulations, give us a call. IDENT has been Canada’s leader in oil and gas signage for over 35 years. We pride ourselves on being the experts on regulatory and compliance signage so that you don’t have to worry. We’re in your field!